The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Candy Bark


I spent all day yesterday coating everything imaginable in chocolate and my family of critics were impressed with it all but not the fact  that they weren't  able to "pig out".  Barks have become a holiday tradition, and everyone has their favourites.  Pictured above is marble almond.  I do everything in the microwave.  The trick is to melt the chocolate at 50% power 1 minute at a time so that you don't scorch it.  It might seem like a slow process but I think the results are better.  I prefer Merckens chocolate wafers and this week they were on sale at the Bulk Barn (Good thing because I went there 3 times)


Chocolate dipped oreos are new to the repertoire, but they might become a new favourite, topped with crushed candycane.



This is a sampling of my days work.  There is traditional white chocolate and almond.  I roast the raw almonds in butter in the microwave, 1 minute at a time for 3 to 4 minutes. This gives them a nice rich flavour.

 Rocky Road, pictured beside the oreos, has peanuts and marshmallows in dark chocolate, Candy Cane and white chocolate, and another new flavour has white chocolate with broken pretzels, melted caramels, and then semi sweet chocolate drizzled on top.  Salt and chocolate make for a great combo!


And my new favourite tool is the Wilton Snowflake pan.  I had seen this snowflake bark on Pinterest using a silicone pan, but I couldn't find one here in Ontario, so when I saw this on sale at the Bulk Barn for $10, I decided to give it a try.  It worked perfectly for my Cranberry Pistachio and the White and Dark Peppermint, and today I made an awesome batch of Gingerbread. 
It feels great to sit down tonight, and also know that I have all of my baking done, and ready to be given away for hostess gifts, and to those hard to buy for people.                                                         It really is a sense of accomplishment. 
 Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these