The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rustic Antique Shelf

Our trip to the Cookstown Wing Ding, although it was a wet day, was very "profitable" in great finds.  My sister outfitted a spare room, for next to nothing (She really should be a guest blogger) and I found a few treasures too.   This rustic shelf came home with me, even though I had no idea where it was going to go.  I just knew that it was too "me" to leave there for someone else, so beat up and batttered, I brought it home, and it was relegated to the garage for several months until I decided what to do with it.  I looked at lots of blogs about painting old furniture and then decided I would do my own thing.
I am sure some people would have left it just the way  that it was, but I wasn't sure that that would work with the cabinets. 

With leftover paint from the laundry room cabinets, I decided to paint the entire shelf.  It appeared that someone before me had tried to strip it, but because the piece is so old, I would say early 1900's, that they didn't get all of the paint removed.  So let's work with what we have.  A quick coat of paint, and a piece of sand paper to wear back the edges, and I was really pleased with the outcome, although I still didn't know if it was going to work above my laundry room sink. 
At our house, I just need to plan a party to get things done, and a lot of minor projects were completed before our Christmas Open House.  However, not knowing exactly what to do with the shelf, back to the garage it went, until New Year's Day, when I asked Handy Husband to hold it up so we could decide if it looked ok.  A couple of heavy duty hangers later, and the shelf sits above the laundry room sink.  I really didn't need another place for "stuff"  but now I needed to decide what to put on it. 
Our son, the gardener, has decided that he would like to raise chickens, so this egg sign that I found at the Wing Ding too, and the basket of eggs are appropriate additions.  The laundry room sign followed from our other house, and I will blog about that stone picture soon.  So all in all the shelf that was marked at $34 but I got for $30 was a great bargain and now my laundry room is complete.  What should we tackle next?

1 comment:

  1. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I will learn lots of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!
    Ross 1200C Heavy Duty Tree & Shrub Root Feeder 12044

    ReplyDelete

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these