The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Monday, September 17, 2012

diy chalk paint - night stand


I bought this night stand at Value Village about 3 years ago, and although a good solid piece, I felt that it needed an update.  I had some paint left over from our Spare room reno, and went online, Pinterest of course, and found some cool ideas for diy chalk paint.  What did I have to lose?
 
      I primed the nightstand with 1 coat of leftover primer from the walls and then to the final coat of latex Benjamin Moore paint,1 cup,  I mixed in a couple of tablespoons of unsanded grout, left over from my shower project.  It was kind of thick and I wasn't too sure, but I went ahead and rolled it on with small rollers that I had bought at the dollar store.  I did 2 coats of paint, and finished it off with a light coat of Minwax Paste Finishing Wax just to give it a protective coat.
I gave it a light sand along the drawer fronts, and along the edges where there would be usual wear and I was done.    I already had the lamp and just added new ribbon to the shade and an old candle holder from another room and this project was complete.  All in all a quick project and I was able to recycle the handles, so not only fast but cheap too. Gotta love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these