This fall found us at an almost empty nest stage with only our middle son at home, and he comes and goes, so a lot of time it is just the two of us. So, more time for diy's.
After Jordan left for school I decided it was time to redo his bedroom. It had been painted grey with black stripes for his older brother, and it was desperately in need of a remake. We painted the walls Benjamin Moore, Silver Fox and then it was time to do something with this dresser that was stuck in the 80's.
I used some leftover paint from the walls of the spare room, Benjamin Moore, Muslin, added a little white grout, to make my own chalk paint, and refreshed this ugly old chest of drawers that I bought for $20 years ago. It was time for a facelift.
Originally I thought that the TV might fit into the space when I removed the doors, and the top, red velvet lined drawer, but it was just a little too tall. I decided to leave the top the original stained wood, and I am pleased with the overall look. A little bit of sanding to distress and this piece was almost done.
(I just noticed the state of this room when I took the before picture. Boys!)
I debated about the hardware for several weeks, but a trip to Lee Valley Tools and we were good to go. I decided that the dresser could use some femininity so I chose the glass knobs for the upper drawer ( it is all one, but looks like 3) and then did a hammered finished handle for the bottom two.
This room is very tiny. That is the extent of the wall space at the head of the bed. We took the closet door off years ago, and I made a fun patterned curtain instead. Luckily it is deep and holds a multitude of items.
That is an original piece of art (and I use that term lightly) on the wall above the bed. Stay tuned for another post. You won't believe how I created it and you can do it too. See you soon.