The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Monday, March 27, 2017

Finger Painting for Adults

Remember how much fun it was to finger paint as a child, mixing colours and creating art work for the fridge?  Well who says you can't finger paint as an adult. and create original art for your walls.   My co worker introduced me to the beautiful art work of Iris Scott last year, and when she told me that there was an instructional book, I thought "Why not try something new?"  The book, Finger Painting Weekend Workshop that you can purchase on Amazon, gave detailed instructions and got my creativity flowing.

I started out by loosely following the guide to create a piece of original finger painted artwork called Lady in Leaves.
A trip to Michaels with a 40% off coupon in hand, I purchased a set of oil paints with 18 colours and was inexpensive.  Canvases were on sale in a multi pack, so no need to worry if I needed to start over.
You need vinyl medical gloves that you can purchase at the drug store as this paint is not washable. Using the oils gives you time to not only paint in layers, and mix colours on the canvas, but as it is slow drying, I have even changed my mind, and started over in sections.  Remember to have paper towels at the ready, and to wipe your fingers often in order to keep the colours from becoming muddy.  This is an important step as you layer the colurs and add the details. As I said, the book outlines step by step instructions as to how to divide the canvas and where to start.  Just dive in, and you will be amazed at how much fun this art project is.  

I didn't take pictures of the work in progress, but here is the finished result.
It is far from being a masterpiece, but I find the process very relaxing and a great sense of accomplishment having finished the project.

Typical of me, once I have done something once, I want to stretch, and see what I can create on my own. So with a photo of a field of poppies in Italy as inspiration, I painted a picture for Jordan's bedroom.  Check in soon, to see the work in progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these